What is Flexible Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing?
Flexible Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing (FEES) is an advanced technique to directly view the pharynx, larynx and esophagus during swallowing. Research has demonstrated that FEES is a sensitive, safe and accurate assessment in providing clinically useful information of swallowing anatomy, physiology and safety.
NDoscopy specialists perform the FEES at the patient’s bedside or in a private treatment room. Our specially trained Speech-Language Pathologists (SLPs) gently pass a thin, flexible endoscope through the nasal pathway to the patient’s pharynx to view the laryngeal and pharyngeal structures and function. Our endoscopes have bright, clear LED light technology and a high definition camera allowing our SLPs to clearly view the patient’s swallow mechanism directly while the patient is eating and drinking.
We capture and record live colored video to identify the cause of dysphagia. Upon completion of the FEES, images and recommendations are printed and provided on-site the same day. Video is provided upon request. We provide individualized recommendations for the safest, least restrictive diet as well as any strategies or compensations that were shown to improve the safety of swallowing to reduce the risk of aspiration related illnesses. The treating Speech-Language Pathologist is encouraged to be present during the assessment and, if appropriate, may provide and bill for dysphagia treatment.
Procedure for Facility Scheduling with NDoscopy
- Contact NDoscopy Dysphagia Specialists at 646-389-4316, email [email protected] or fill out our contact form to establish an agreement for any FEES procedures.
- Referring facility recommending FEES obtains a physician order.
- Request an appointment.
- NDoscopy will perform FEES within 1-2 business days and frequently can perform same day service.
Procedure for Patient Scheduling with NDoscopy
- Contact NDoscopy Dysphagia Specialists for a free consultation at 646-389-4316 or email [email protected] to determine if FEES is right for you!
- Obtain a physician order for “FEES to r/o aspiration and assess swallowing.” with diagnosis dysphagia.
- Request an appointment.
- NDoscopy will schedule an appointment.
Flexible Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing Compared to Modified Barium Swallow
There are two instrumental options for directly assessing the swallowing function: The modified barium swallow study (MBS), also known as the videofluoroscopic swallow study (VFSS) or flexible endoscopic evaluation of swallowing (FEES). Both procedures have pros and cons and sometimes both procedures may be recommended for further information.
Research shows that FEES is just as accurate or greater than MBS in detecting aspiration, penetration and pharyngeal residue. Additionally, FEES provides visualization of pharyngeal secretions that cannot be detected during MBS. NDoscopy bring FEES and these benefits to you! Contact us for more information.