COVID-19 is a respiratory disease caused by SARS-CoV-2, a new coronavirus discovered in 2019. The virus is thought to spread mainly from person to person through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes, or talks. At NDoscopy Dysphagia Specialists infection control has always been a top priority. With Covid-19, we continue to follow the CDC guidance for infection control to keep our resident’s safe and help to stop the spread of Covid-19.
Flexible endoscopic evaluation of swallowing is essential instrumental medical procedure to assess patients with oropharyngeal dysphagia. According to the American Academy of Otolaryngologists, Head & Neck Surgeons (AAOHNS), FEES does not produce aerosol generating particles, however it may induce coughing, gagging or sneezing. NDoscopy Dypshagia Specialists use enhanced infection control measures to reduce the spread of Covid-19. We are essential healthcare providers.
FEES testing can be much safer than Modified Barium Swallow Studies for skilled nursing facilities and easier for the patient and staff. It can be difficult to get a timely PCR test prior to being sent to the hospital for the MBS. Also, leaving the facility poses a greater risk of infection to the patient.
What infection control measures are in place?
NDoscopy Dysphagia Specialists have strict policies and procedures for infection control. Below are the infection prevention and control procedures we’ve put in place for our staff, in accordance with CDC, CMS, AHCA, ASHA, and state guidelines: .
Procedures include (not limited to):
- All FEES equipment stored within a clean space within the company vehicle
- The use of personal protective equipment (PPE) to reduce the risk of contracting and transmitting Covid-19 to others including masks, gowns, gloves, and eye protection. NDoscopy Dysphagia Specialists follow your facility PPE requirements.
- Covid-19 testing
- Participation in temperature check
- Vigilant hand washing
- No use of aerosolizing sprays during FEES testing
- All equipment is disinfected following each procedure with enzymatic wipe. We then continue to use a high level disinfectant protocol on FEES equipment. * It should be noted that CIDEX® OPA has been directly tested against coronavirus, and has been demonstrated to be efficacious. Visit: https://www.asp.com/preventing-the-spread-of-coronavirus-from-contaminatedmedical-devices
- If scope is not used for 5 days it is completely reprocessed with high level disinfectant.
- Cart, scope cae and equipment are cleaned with Lysol prior to placement in the vehicle.
NDoscopy Dysphagia Specialists have been vaccinated and have received both doses of the vaccine as well as a booster. We are also tested bi-weekly for Covid. We will complete a Covid test at your facility as needed or can bring our test results.
NDosocpy Dysphagia Specialists comply with all guidelines to ensure the safety of all staff and patients. We are committed to providing the highest care for our patients with dysphagia. Please contact [email protected] for any questions related to infection control. To schedule please call 646-389-4316 or contact us at [email protected]